Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My extended vacation is halfway over :(

I cannot believe that I have been here for over 2 months and will be leaving in a little over 6 weeks. I have mixed feelings about leaving. Of course, I cannot wait to see my family and friends. However, on the other side there is still so much for me to do here. Grahamstown has the 2nd largest festival in the world in June. And of course the World Cup is in June/July. Coming to South Africa has given me the traveling bug. I want to see the world that I have seen so little of. I hope Tyler gets an overseas placement!

Last week, Auburn, Diana and I visited a street school in Grahamstown. Visiting that school made me realiza how sheltered I am at Kingswood. I have been blinded to the realities which exist just beyond the railroad tracks. The school is for homeless, poor, straving children. Students come and go as they please to the school. Most come for the food. However, once the students walk into the school, the doors are locked and no one is allowed to leave until 1:00 when school ends. At first, I didn't understand way they locked the children in. The school has 7 grades. The grades are not by age but ability and time in school. For example, in grade 1 there are children ranging from 6 to 16 years old. Many of the children have stunted growth from malnutrition and starvation. Seeing and witnessing this in person has made me so grateful for all that I have. And I have way too much. I have already decided that when I go back to the U.S. I am going to donate most of my clothing.

Last week, a new COST student came to Grahamstown. Sam is working at a public elementary school. She has turned out trio to a quad. I cannot believe that there are only 3 weeks left this term, then I have a two week holiday. After I will return to teach one more week then I go home. It's bitter sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment



Followers